Saturday, July 24, 2021

How I discovered the joys of dancing

 

I am a life-long dancer. I started dancing when I was 4. My Mom put me in ballet to help with my feet and posture. While those are practical reasons for dancing, something about moving to music would continue to appeal to me all my life.

When I started getting into pop and rock music, I wanted to move. It was something I had to do. I continued with ballet, but added jazz and tap, as well as some hula to my dance life. Jazz was especially appealing to me, and I would later learn that it helped me tremendously with my Raks Sharki (belly dance) because of the isolated movements we did in our bodies. Some of the same lines of movement, and moves themselves also translate over to raks sharki, such as arabesque, chassé, chaîne turns, and graceful arm positions.

I initially was interested in belly dance via the amazing costumes. Having a background in theatre and dance, that was already something that interested me. Beyond costuming, though, I enjoyed the soft movements and how belly dance really was for every person, not just "ballet" bodies. The moves are more gentle than ballet but you can still incorporate the fierceness from jazz.

The styles I have studied the most are traditional Raks Sharki (Egyptian) belly dance and American Cabaret (AmCab) style. I have also studied Fat Chance Belly Dance Style (formerly ATS), which is an improvisational style, but I prefer raks sharki and AmCab. I love the Golden Era of American Cabaret the most, but I also have incorporated some jazz and street/pop style fusion into some of my choreography work.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment