Sunday, October 17, 2021

What is Shimmy Mob Bellydance Flash Mob?

 Some of my readers and students have heard me mention Shimmy Mob - but what is it? 

 Shimmy Mob is an annual bellydance performance group raising awareness about domestic abuse through the medium of dance. I am the Team Leader for West Covina, CA, and I am honored to have been chosen as one of the 2021 International Choreographers for Shimmy Mob (bonus dances)! That means that if you were a registered participant in 2021, you could learn my choreography along with people across the globe!

 Shimmy Mob is the largest bellydance flash mob in the world, on World Bellydance Day (the second Saturday of May). You have to register on the Shimmy Mob website, and you will get a t-shirt, access to online dance tutorials, free rehearsals/dance lessons, performance opportunities, plus bonus dances to learn throughout the year..  Registration is typically January 1 - March 31.  There is an annual event in May, and a second event in September, for Emotional Abuse Signs Awareness (EASA).  Shimmy Mob is open to everyone, dancers, drummers, non-dancers, and supporters!  

It's a great way to dance for a good cause!  This year, I learned and broke down the choreography and taught it online on zoom to my Team (plus anyone registered for Shimmy Mob, across the country and globe could learn with me).  I taught the main dance, the finale, and the bonus finale.  I will start teaching my bonus dance in November as well. 


 

We performed in a park and recorded our dances for my YouTube channel.  Next year I hope to have a full hafla (dance party) show, including the Shimmy Mob dances and other soloists and group dances from my classes.  We couldn't do it this way in 2021 due to the pandemic, but we still performed in a park with masks and online with both Team Virtual and my own Team recorded on Zoom as well.

Sound fun?  Stay tuned for next year's registration, some time around late December or early January and join me by registering for Team West Covina, CA on the Shimmy Mob website for $36 (plus s&h), that's less than the price of a workshop, and you get so much out of it! I have participated in Shimmy Mob since 2018, I am thrilled Team Leader for West Covina, CA.



No comments:

Post a Comment