Monday, January 10, 2022

Creating Cosplay Bellydance Fusion Costumes for Music Video Performance

     I was honored to be invited to perform for an 80's cartoon convention, JemCon, in 2021, twice.  I was thrilled to collaborate on the performance, by working with a music mixer to remix some songs from the cartoon into bellydance beats so that I could incorporate Raks Sharki performance into the video I was going to create.  As a dance artist, and an actress, I have always been interested in costuming as well, and I have cosplayed characters I enjoy since I was a kid.  This gave me an opportunity to play not only the main character from the cartoon, but represent the various bands in the show and characters I have not been able to cosplay previously.

    To start, I wanted to make a bellydance version of the main character's pink stage dress and silver belt.  I had an existing pink choli style top (3/4 length sleeve crop top) made by L. Rose from a prior costume, so all I needed was a skirt to match and the silver belt.  I made a mermaid skirt with slits, from my trusty Sparkly Belly Mermaid Skirt pattern, and then I had to draw the belt.  

 


I took an existing bellydance belt pattern and drew the asymmetrical point on paper.  I cut out my lining fabric and my shiny silver fabric.  I originally intended to have the belt be reversible but due to the fringe being shorter than I wanted I had to abandon this idea.  I sewed the belt together with interfacing and then I created the bright blue "wedges" which are the design on the belt out of cut sequins and felt.  I glued them on the silver side of the belt, sewed it together and then added the white fringe to the point.

 


    The second costume I wanted to create was Jem as Cleopatra, as seen in the "Perfect Match" video with the Stingers.  Jem only appears as Cleopatra quickly in a couple of shots but her costume was so pretty and the closest thing to an Egyptian costume that she wears in the series, so I knew I had to make it.  I found a blue bikini top at Target and some Egyptian accessories online, which I needed to alter to fit properly, and sewed them together.  Jem's skirt is white but I had some silver stretch material available so I made a swap to also make it more shiny.  I cut out a mermaid skirt in silver and this costume was complete.


 

    The other characters I found things in my closets I already had, for Jerrica, Minx, Rapture, and Pizzazz.  I also had previously made a bellydance costume I lovingly nicknamed Pizzazz for it's animal print and bright colors which reminded me of the Misfits.

    I had a great time cosplaying all the characters and using some green screen technology to appear together as different characters at the same time.  I filmed outside to add interest to the video.

    The second Jem-themed video I created had less costuming but more set design and I shot half the video on the green screen.  This was challenging due to the size of my screen, which was about 5 feet big.  I turned it vertical and shot in this aspect ratio so that my whole body would fit on screen, but I had to be careful to dance inside the frame and not exceed the frame for a bad illusion of being "cut off."  I also did an alternate take in my dance studio to cut in with a pretty curtain background.  The green screen shots are my favorite though, because I was able to add special effects, including a dark stormy sky, and a cauldron for Halloween.



No comments:

Post a Comment