Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Living in a Virtual World - Online Teaching

We are living in a time unlike any other in our lifetime. 2020 has been a rough year for business and health.  Everyone has been on lockdown, due to the pandemic going on and all in-person classes, events and entertainment are cancelled. Some people have not been allowed to go to work. We aren't allowed to see friends, or family without social distancing of at least 6 feet apart. We wear face masks to protect us and to protect those who are "at risk" of getting this disease. People are trapped in their homes and the only way to feel normal, is to be online.

It's been a very strange few months, I have not worked on any new sewing projects since last year, although the pandemic seems like a good time to be working at home on costumes. Life has transformed into home schooling and quarantine. Instead of full costumes, I have only repaired some things and I still have several unfinished projects sitting in my pile of "to do" items. Materials have to be bought online or picked up after ordering online, there's very little browsing in stores and looking at fabrics and trims. My in-person classes have been cancelled due to the closure of the recreation center I used to teach in, under "stay at home" orders. The dance studio I used to teach at closed, in what was thought to be a temporary relocation, but the closure is now going on 6 months.

I kept thinking, do I try to teach online?  Do I wait for this pandemic to subside?

I finally moved on to teaching classes in the virtual world, after much troubleshooting, navigating the tech world of Zoom, Facebook Live, and Band live. So many things can go wrong. People can have bad connections. The picture can freeze. You need permission to play the music because it's different than playing it in a classroom. The music can cut in and out. It's a strange world, teaching online, but it's better than not dancing and better than nothing. It's very strange because I come from a video background, where I have set up cameras, mixers, cables, lights, for on location shoots, both single and multi-cam, but now I'm using my computer camera to go live and a second camera for my replays of my classes.  It's taken many different tries to get the audio right, the camera showing what I want it to, and transforming my small office into a dance studio/television studio. It's not perfect but it works.

With hesitation, I started up a Patreon page. What is Patreon?  It's a website that supports artists work. The artists can make up "tiers" of "benefits" for their Patrons, who pay a fee for whatever tier they are interested in, and then they can access, in my case, videos.  I have a $5 option for live zoom classes and mini videos and a $10 option for choreography with notes and practice videos.  I have also posted some DIY videos and tutorials for the $10 option.

The only goal of Patreon is to try to keep my classes going and maybe makeup a fraction of the money I used to make, because I spend many hours of work on choreography, setup, and video editing that comes with teaching my classes. Now each week after I teach, I have to edit the video and upload it, which takes time too. With my kids at home from school, I can't be shooting and producing videos daily. I do my weekly class, but when I was teaching in person, it was 2-3 times a week. When there were upcoming performances, we added on at least one rehearsal a week on top of that for my troupe/s to practice.  When my kids were in school, I could sew or choreograph new routines.  I have less freedom to do that now.

Things are starting to open up again, although the pandemic is not over. It makes for a strange transitional time. We are learning choreography in my classes, but can't do complicated group formations or moves that rely on partners. There is a Christmas-themed hafla coming up in July (I know, that sounds weird) which we have no idea if it will happen or not, due to social distancing rules. Playing Christmas music in June is also weird. Masks are required pretty much everywhere so that means for dancing too. This of course creates a challenge for costuming. Wearing traditional veils can be problematic to some, who get offended by such a thing. However, I want my dancers and myself to be safe, and that's really the main thing that matters.

I'm not sure when my recreation center will open up and they will ask me to teach in person again (?). Perhaps they will ask me to teach online?  I know my former dance studio is waiting until it's more feasible to re-open. Imagine having to wipe everything down all day long, limit the amount of students who come in, limiting the money to pay for a studio, keep the distancing happening in the studio/classroom.

For now I'm happy that my students have stuck with me and we are trying to bring ourselves together, to dance, to feel normal, to see other people, and to feel like a troupe again. We all miss going out and performing. All the fun things that go with it.  For more info visit my Patreon and my website.


No comments:

Post a Comment