Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Themed Belly Dance Costumes

    It's no surprise to anyone who follows me that I end up dancing at a lot of shows with "themes." What do I mean by a "theme?" It could be anything from the type of music we are tasked to dance to, or something to inspire costuming. The usual "rules" suggest you use the theme to pick your music or your costume, or both. Some dancers tend to ignore the themes, but I have noticed that ever since our troupe has embraced the themes, others have been following suit to embrace them as well, even when they are wacky. Some examples of themed shows I have danced at include "Boy Band," "Crazy Hats," "Raq to the Future," "Pirates," "Around the World," "Fantasy," "Divas," "Renaissance/Medieval," as well as a couple I started working on but was unable to attend, including "Rhythm & Blues" and "Diamonds & Pearls."
    Some of these themes are easy and fun to interpret, and others are much more challenging. Certain themes lend themselves to bellydance, such as Pirates and Renaissance Faire. Costuming is easy for these themes, there are many interpretations of dance costumes on Pinterest for these, and music can generally be something in the realm of bellydance. Other themes are much harder for both costumes and music. When we were tasked with "Boy Band" I had no idea what we were going to do. Luckily, inspiration hit and we did a very cool fusion number dancing with chairs and veils. We wore really cute "mens/business" suits (sort of like Madonna in Express Yourself or Britney Spears from Me Against the Music).
    I do like to keep things in the realm of raks sharki.  I want to keep the integrity of the dance alive. I try to bend the themes to do that, rather than bending the dance to fit the theme. If we dance to a pop song (fitting the theme), I incorporate traditional moves in addition to some that might be less traditional, and I definitely make our second number a more straight-forward belly dance routine. When we danced at the 70's hafla, we did one song from the 1970's rock world, incorporating wings and some non-traditional fusion moves. Our second routine was pure 1970's bellydance, a version of "Ah Ya Zein" from 1974, straight up bellydance, no fusion involved in that one.
    Every year, the only consistent theme is the one for early November's show, which is "Halloween." Halloween encompasses a very wide spectrum of themes in itself. One year we did skeletons (I have a blog about that, here), another year we were witches, then monsters, and one year we were simply "villains."
    The year we were villains, I chose to make a female version of Loki, since the Avengers were very popular at the time, with the films coming out.  There was one other Avenger in our group, but the others were more random - we had a Medusa, Cruella DeVille, Poison Ivy, a Devil and a Dragon. I wanted my costume to be a belly dance costume but to give the feeling of Loki, so I designed a green and gold costume and wore his trademark horns.  I made a green velvet skirt, a belt with detachable gold "armor" panel, and I found this great green mesh fabric I could overlay on top of the bra and belt to simulate the armor.  I made gauntlets to match.  I found a green and black cape from Target to complete the look.  I was originally going to add fur but I was afraid it would weigh the cape down and make it come off my neck.  I found a light up scepter for my magic as well.
    We danced with LED poi, which was really fun, and a new challenge for us to learn this particular prop.  Our second routine used LED wings.  Both songs were belly dance music.

    The next year, we decided to be "classic Hollywood monsters" and I wanted to be an alien. A pretty, laser-sword-wielding-alien at that. I had previously bought a dance dress that was beautiful but every time I moved, it rode up on me, so I cut the dress apart, separating it into a top and skirt. My base model was an anime character I always admired, so I tried to envision what her outfit might look like if it were in a belly dance costume.  This character has shoulder armor and a bodysuit which I kept the essence of by creating drapes on the shoulders from Mao's Sparkly Belly "Jasmine sleeve" tutorial.  I restitched the skirt together, and fixed the waistband.  I used the "old" top's blue pieces to cover the top of a bra. I also used some black material I had in my fabric stash, as well as using some appliqués for sparkle. I used the black power net from the original dress to make gauntlets and the shoulder drapes/Jasmine sleeves, which mirrored the feeling of her shoulder armor (in her non-dance incarnation).  Using the black fabric and more sequined notions from my stash, I was able to create a belt.  I made a belly cover using scraps of the pretty blue material I had leftover to suggest the bodysuit, along with some straps on the belly. I bought some pointy elf ears to complete the look, and wore boots.  I also asked my hair dresser to make my hair red.

    My troupe-mates included the Bride of Frankenstein, a She-wolf, a Vampire, and Beezlebub. 
Other than a very brief "skit," which was a simple veil introduction, with a rising moon effect, and some character development for each of us "monsters," we danced pretty traditionally raks sharki, performing two routines to belly dance music and one brief fusion song to a bellydance remix of "She Wolf" in honor of our wolf-woman and Halloween.

For more info, visit my website.



No comments:

Post a Comment